Bok Choy Wrappers
Winograd K-8 Elementary School
1 ½ cups Brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
1 ¾ cups Fresh bok choy, sliced ¼”
1 ¾ cups Canned pineapple tidbits, in 100% juice
3 cups Cooked chicken strips (12 oz)
¾ cup Sweet and sour sauce
1 tsp Low-sodium soy sauce
12 leaves Fresh romaine lettuce, outer leaves
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes 12 wraps (two wraps per serving)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine brown rice and 3 ½ cups water in a large pot and bring to a rolling boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with a fork. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown rice, bok choy, pineapple, chicken, sweet and sour sauce, and soy sauce.
- Transfer mixture to an 8” x 8” nonstick baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes. Cook to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature).
- Place two lettuce leaves on a plate. Top each with ¾ cup filling. Optional: garnish with diced red peppers. Fold sides of lettuce in toward center; roll up like burrito.
- Place seam side down. Serve warm.
- Note: Serving size may be too large for younger children and they may not be able to easily assemble the wrap. Filling may also be served over a bed of romaine lettuce.
Nutrients Per Serving (2 wraps):
Calories 376, Protein 13 g, Carbohydrate 56 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 2 g. Cholesterol 23 mg, Vitamin A 4450 IU (224 RAE), Vitamin C 28 mg, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 71 mg, Sodium 377 mg
More recipes are available here: www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov
This recipe came from the “Recipes for Healthy Kids: Cookbook for Homes” by TeamNutrition.usda.gov